Valentine’s Day 2015. That crept up on us super fast! Seems like just yesterday it was Valentines Day 2014. Last year we celebrated with a fun-filled family weekend in Beverly Hills and Newport Beach. But what trumps Valentine’s Day? How about my son’s birthday? 🙂 The real reason for that trip!
Before I can get to posting some favorite pics of Patrick, I should dedicate part of this blog to Valentine’s Day! So, let’s just briefly touch upon gift ideas (or idea), fun affordable dates, love songs and sweet nothings! Best. Blog. Ever!
Gift Ideas – I am going with only one gift, because it works for Him or Her, is affordable, and everyone can use one. You can get this for less than $20 on Amazon.
SELFIE STICK – A selfie stick is a monopod used to take selfie photographs by positioning a smartphone or camera beyond the normal range of the arm. The metal sticks are typically extensible, with a handle on one end and an adjustable clamp on the other end to hold a phone in place. Some have remote or Bluetooth controls, letting the user decide when to take the picture, and models designed for cameras have a mirror behind the viewscreen so that the shot can be lined up. (wikipedia).
Date Ideas if you are on a budget. Thank you Bustle!
1. Go sledding… or have a snowball fight
You know why being a kid was so fun? Because you had zero money but still had a blast just playing outside. Put on your snow pants and find the perfect sledding hill or a nearby park. When you can’t feel your fingers anymore, head inside and make some boozy homemade hot chocolate for two.
2. Play games at an arcade bar
Preferably one where the games are free. But either way, you can scrap up spare change in the name of pinball and Pac-Man. Again, alcohol and childhood nostalgia are a winning combo.
3. Hit up a food truck and explore your city
Fact: Everybody likes food trucks. Find one with cuisine you both agree on (tacos, am I right?) and grab some lunch, then stroll around the neighborhood hand-in-greasy hand.
4. Tour a local brewery or winery
So you both love craft beer or fancy yourselves sommeliers? Go taste beer or wine for the price of tour admission… it beats paying bar prices.
5. Spend a day at the museum
I know, some museums have pretty pricey admission, but not all! I recommend a natural history museum because everyone loves dinosaurs and weird taxidermy collections.
6. Go hiking or snowshoeing
The best part about the great outdoors is that it’s free — well, unless you’re paying for trail admission at a state park. Still, long hikes are an adventure, and you can always take breaks to make out in the woods. As for snowshoeing, a lot of city recreational departments offer cheap rentals.
7. Head to a roller rink… or roller derby match
Couple’s skating is darling, and if you’re lucky the rink will have a disco ball to set the retro mood. If you’d rather not fall on your face, get rowdy and go see some local derby girls kick butt instead.
8. Build a fort
Is there anything better than chilling in your very own tent fort? Yes, cuddling in it with your SO. If your fort’s big enough, you can even eat a romantic V-Day dinner in there.
9. Spend a day at a flea market
Try on weird kimonos or fur coats, ogle vintage typewriters, and buy each other a quirky token of affection at the end of the day. At flea markets and thrift stores, looking is half the fun.
10. Go to a local concert or comedy show
Going to Taylor Swift’s tour is pricey, but going to see an up-and-coming local band is pocket-money. Even if you haven’t heard of them, why not branch out and support a local artist? If they’re bad, just drink beer until they sound better.
11. Find a guided ghost tour
Patrick Swayze probably won’t be there, but you can get good deals for these on sites like Groupon all the time. Even if the tour isn’t great quality (I went on one in D.C. led by a man in colonial garb), you can make fun of it together.
12. See stars at the planetarium
It was magical for Ross and Rachel, and it can be for you, too. Even though it’s probably too cold out to enjoy the real night sky, the planetarium is temperature-controlled, educational, and all-around enjoyable.
13. Sing together at a karaoke bar
If you’re not normally karaoke people, use Valentine’s Day night as an opportunity to break out of your shells. Take a couple of shots and sing your hearts out during a duet.
14. Have a game night
18 Love Quotes that are “anything but cheesy” from Bustle! Or Sweet Nothings as I like to call em.
- 1. “Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.” — Henry Louis Mencken
2. “Who, being loved, is poor?” — Oscar Wilde
- 3. “Love me and the world is mine.” — David Reed
- 4. “Nobody has ever measured, even poets, how much a heart can hold.” — Zelda Fitzgerald
5. “Love me when I least deserve it, because that’s when I really need it.” — Swedish Proverb
- 6. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” — Friedrich Nietzsche
- 7. “Love is too strong a word to say it too early, but it has too beautiful a meaning to say it too late.” — Kurt Cornish
8. “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” — Audrey Hepburn
- 9. “Where there is love there is life.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- 10. “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
11. “Love has no age, no limit; and no death.” — John Galsworthy
- 12. “With our love, we could save the world.” — George Harrison
- 13. “Love is the joy of the good, the wonder of the wise, the amazement of the gods.” — Plato
- 14. “The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.” — Mother Teresa
- 15. “If a thing loves, it is infinite.” —William Blake
- 16. “The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is to love and be loved in return.” — Natalie Cole
- 17. “We are shaped and fashioned by those we love.” — Goethe
- 18. “And remember, as it was written, to love another person is to see the face of God.” — Victor Hugo
My Favorite Romantic Movies. I never met a romantic comedy I didn’t love, btw.
You’ve Got Mail – love this one so much, I’ve dedicated an entire blog to it
When Harry Met Sally – Classic
An Affair to Remember – my Mom’s favorite movie. One of mine as well.
Sleepless in Seattle – “Magic”
Runaway Bride – Great one-liners in this one.
The Proposal – we love Ramone.
The Best of Me – Mer and I watched this movie last weekend. Twice. Love it.
Pretty in Pink – what’s not to love about a classic 80’s romantic comedy?
Never Been Kissed – I just love that Michael Vartan
My Best Friend’s Wedding – the end scene with Julia Roberts dancing with Rupert Everett is one of my all-time favorite dance scenes! Maybe there won’t be marriage. Maybe there won’t be sex. But by God, there’ll be dancing!
Favorite Love Songs…compliments of Dr. Stevie!!
Everlasting Love – Natalie Cole
One – U2
Make you feel my love – Bryan Ferry
Can’t get enough of you – Barry White
True Companion – Marc Cohen. My sister’s first dance at her wedding.
Moon Dance – Van Morrison
Love Song – The Cure
Baby Love – Diana Ross
True – Will.i.am – Nothing screams the 80’s like this song!
Sea of Love – The Honeydippers
Song of the Day: You’re the First, My Last, My Everything, by Barry White
I know there’s only, only one like you
There’s no way they could have made two
You’re all I’m living for, your love I’ll keep forevermore
First, you’re the last, my everything
And just like that…You are 18! Happy Birthday to my baby boy, Patrick. We are so proud of the kind, caring, sweet, smart and funny young man you have become. Love you my sweet boy! <3 <3 <3
As Kevin would say, “The face that launched a thousand ships”. 😉
Patrick and I through the years…or through what I found on my iphone. 😉 I think this was 2007?
Patrick humoring his old mom in Malibu! March 2012.
Dinner at the Resort at Pelican Hill. Truly one of the Best. Dinners. Ever! March 2014.
Patrick and Mary
One of my favorite family photos. We always sit in the same spot when we sit in a booth. This was on my birthday in 2013. Magical weekend!!
Happy Valentine’s Day! <3 <3 <3
Best. Ecard. Ever!