Bacon is the new black…just like Pinterest was the new black, Bacon appears to have taken on a life of its’ own! Never mind that it’s cured meat from a pig. Never mind that it’s high in fat, calories and will make your cholesterol skyrocket. America has reached Bacon Mania!
Bacon mania refers to passionate bacon enthusiasm in the United States and Canada. Novelty bacon dishes and other bacon related items have been popularized rapidly via the internet. (Wikipedia)The movement has been traced to the 1980s and 1990s when high-protein foods became a more prominent diet focus due in part to the Atkins Diet. Since then, bacon focused events and gatherings celebrating the food have been reported and bacon related exploits have been featured in media accounts.
I think Bacon has taken on a life of its’ own…and even more so in the past year. Hence, why I’ve coined the phrase, Bacon is the New Black. Of course, I’ll find out that someone else used it first, just as my term, Pinterest is the New Black…sadly, didn’t originate with me first.
And More Bacon Rules, as there are more than just one set of rules.
You can’t buy happiness…
Candied Bacon – My friend D served this at her Super Bowl Party…Decadent and Delicious!
1 lb sliced bacon
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Dash cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil, then place an oven-safe wire rack on top of the pan. Spray the rack liberally with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, the cinnamon, and the cayenne pepper (if using). Toss them together until the spices are well-distributed.
3. Take a strip of bacon and press it into the sugar mixture, then turn it over and coat the other side with sugar. Place it on the wire rack, then repeat until all of the slices of bacon are covered with sugar on both sides.
4. If you have any remaining sugar, sprinkle it over the top of the bacon.
5. Bake the bacon in your preheated oven for 20-30 minutes. When it is done, it will be firm and crispy and dark along the edges.
6. Soon after you take it out of the oven, use a spatula to lift the bacon off the rack—sometimes the sugar and fat cause the bacon to stick, and if it’s not removed when it is still warm, it’s difficult to get off of the rack.
7. Let the bacon cool completely, and then enjoy! Candied bacon can be eaten on its own, crumbled to use as a salad topping, or enjoyed on top of other desserts like cakes or cupcakes.
Easiest Way to Make Bacon
Baked Bacon Line a baking pan with bacon, put it in the oven at 350 for about 7-10 mins, flip, continue baking another 5-7 mins.
How about a little Bloody Mary with your Bacon? On spring break, went to a restaurant in Seal Beach, and they featured a side of Bacon (actually hanging out of it) with the Bloody Mary. Truly, if you’re aching for a Bloody Mary, you probably need a side of bacon along side it too. Well Played! The only thing missing is a “snit”…a side of Stella!
I think this may be a wee bit much…
The 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon
Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is a parlor game based on the “six degrees of separation” concept, which posits that any two people on Earth are, on average, about six acquaintance links apart. That idea eventually morphed into this parlor game, wherein movie buffs challenge each other to find the shortest path between an arbitrary actor and Hollywood character actor Kevin Bacon. It rests on the assumption that any individual involved in the Hollywood, California, film industry can be linked through his or her film roles to Kevin Bacon within six steps. The game requires a group of players to try to connect any such individual to Kevin Bacon as quickly as possible and in as few links as possible. It can also be described as a trivia game based on the concept of the small world phenomenon. In 2007, Bacon started a charitable organization named SixDegrees.org.
The Truly Ridiculous
Maple Bacon Martini? I’ll have a filthy dirty martini instead, please
A bacon lamp? Really?
I’m hoping this Diet Coke with Bacon is a horrible attempt at a joke. 🙂
Bacon…it’s not just for breakfast anymore! 🙂
- Candied Bacon | Scrumptious Snacks (forksncorks.net)
- My New Favorite Way to Cook Bacon (littlebrightidea.wordpress.com)