In my quest to have my Best Summer Ever (BSE) I’ve committed to reading as many books as possible…I’ve sailed through quite a few, but have many more on my nightstand and stored in my iPad and have more than the “back 9” of the summer and 4 weeks in California to enjoy them. I’ve compiled a list of some of my past favorite books and authors, and hope you’ll enjoy them. And understanding that these may not strike everyone’s fancy, I’ve included the LA Times list at the end as well. Enjoy!
Great Beach Reads (or at the Pool, which is what I prefer…but ideally at a pool that overlooks the ocean, so I don’t have to deal with the sand…Hilton Waterfront Beach Resort…here we come!)
1. Fifty Shades of Grey Trilogy..yes, there are 3 books, and yes, you Must read all 3, like I read all 3. Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed complete the set.
2. Hunger Games – yet another trilogy…and I think you should read all 3, but the first was my very favorite. Catching Fire and Mockingjay are books 2 and 3.
3. One for the Money…and there are 14 subsequent books by Janet Evanovich. The movie was lousy, but the books are Fabulous. There actually are probably 18 in the series now.
4. Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella – I loved the Shopaholic series, but the Undomestic Goddess, and Can You Keep a Secret are 2 of my all-time favorite books
5. Bridget Jones’ Diary – Read both. Book 2 is the Edge of Reason.
6. If Tomorrow Comes by Sydney Sheldon – an oldie but goody, and I remember reading this book 20 years ago!
7. Anything by Jen Lancaster – but I do love the name of this one…Bitter is the New Black
8. Anything by John Grisham – if you haven’t read these books, start with A Time to Kill, then read The Firm (both old, but both great)
9. The Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo – I have all 3 of these books which were just delivered this week, so those will be on my summer reading list!
10. “Great Chit Lit books” – try these authors: Jennifer Weiner; Meg Cabot; Jane Green; Marian Keyes; Helen Fielding; Emily Griffith.
11. Quick Reads – Anything by Nicholas Sparks; Anything by Mitch Albom (Tuesday’s with Morrie; The Five People you meet in Heaven).
11. Read every book by Ellen Degeneres…Literally belly-laughing yucks! Laughing so hard you cry…what is better than that? 🙂
These are on my Summer Reading List
1. Steve Jobs – Walter Isaacson
2. Bossy Pants – Tina Fey
3. Is Everyone Hanging out without me? – Mindy Kaling
4. Defending Jacob – William Landay
5. The Art of Fielding – Chad Harbach
6. I’ve got your number – Sophie Kinsella
7. Sunday at Tiffany’s – James Patterson
8. Still Alice – Lisa Genova
I’m looking to round this out to a Top 10…and may take some suggestions from the below list, unless I get some suggestions from some of you…and, again, just in case my list does not float your boat, I’ve included the LA Times list of Beach Reads
And if anyone has any suggestions for me and our little following…please comment on this blog or send me and email, and I’ll pass on your recommendations!
The Best Things about Summer:
1. Meredith home for the summer – and last night she said the best line ever, “I can’t believe they didn’t give Ann Curry a full week”. 🙂
2. McDonald’s vanilla ice cream cones. 99 cents…You cannot beat that price and I do believe it’s only around 150 calories
3. Wearing flip-flops and actually getting away with “beachy” hair
4. The occasional week day where we can sleep in if there isn’t summer school or football camp
5. Laguna and Huntington Beach! Can. Not. Wait!
6. Thursday’s Farmer’s Market and Wine Bar with my friends
7. Ravinia – Earth, Wind, and Fire this year…Fabulous…Maroon Five last year…just as Fabulous! Ravinia means Summer!
8. Chilled white wine and fresh seafood and oysters. Half-priced oysters at Shaw’s everyday from 3P – 6P.
9. Graduation parties where you can see kids growing up yet your friends and family (nor this blogger) not getting any older!
10. The Best Summer Ever…or at least I sure am working on it…as well as my tan! 🙂
And Check this out: (pun intended)
Amazing hotel library inspired by beach reads at The Library Hotel, Ko Samui, Thailand
Bruce…this is for you. Blog, forthcoming!
- The Ingredients of a Perfect Summer Read (theatlanticwire.com)