Advertisements

Dress your Age Survey…Seriously?

16 May

So, there is a little “survey” of 1000 women making the rounds that indicates:

“THE AGE WOMEN BELIEVE YOU SHOULD STOP WEARING”…

• Bikini, 47
  • Ugg boots, 45
  • Swimsuit, 61
  • Tight vest, 44
  • See-through chiffon blouse, 40
  • Long hair, 53
  • Ponytail, 51

Ok, all I can say is Poppycock!  That’s total Bunk!  I don’t buy a word of this…and, I, myself, have broken many of these rules, or shall do so in the next few years.    I live in knee-high boots, Uggs, and Leggings.  Belly Button Pierce?  not saying.  I don’t wear leather trousers, but love my leather skirt.  And, looking into the future, I will choose to still wear my hair in a pony tail when I sleep, wear a bathing suit, so I don’t have to swim “au naturale”, and basically wear what I please…as long as I do not offend the masses.  As we know, most fashion rules, in my opinion,  should be thrown out the window.  My rule, if you love it, and love you in it…go for it.

This survey has caused Quite the outrage.  Names like Jane Fonda, Helen Mirren, Demi Moore, Sharon Stone, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Jennifer Aniston  have all been mentioned.   I think these women look pretty sensational breaking these rules:

In this picture of Nicolette Sheridan…is she dressing too young?  Maybe…but you cannot deny she is rocking this look.  She’s in her mid 40’s and looks like this?  We should all be so lucky.  It’s not like most women over 35 are wearing Hello Kitty Flip Flops, Glitter Hot Pants, or are shopping at Limited Too.  Ugg boots are extremely warm and comfortable, and what else are you supposed to wear to a Bears game in mid December?  High heel boots with skirts are a wardrobe staple for many women I know  in the winter.  Plus,  if you can wear a bikini at 47 and look good in it (this is key), why not?

Remember 50 is the new 30, 40 is the new 25, and women of any age can Rock a look.  This is an area where self policing is best.  We all know when something doesn’t look great on us (or at least we should).  Life is short.  Wear what you want, but hopefully love what you wear and love yourself  in it.

Again, I have to say…I never followed the rules anyway…and here’s to me breaking Most of these rules this summer…sans the tube top.  Yeah, never.  And the “trainers”…not sure what those are anyway… Probably wouldn’t wear a tight vest either.  Well here’s to me wearing what I like…and being happy doing so, and hopefully not offending the public…or at the very least my children!

xoxo,

T.

Advertisements

13 Responses to “Dress your Age Survey…Seriously?”

1. Nancy May 16, 2011 at 8:36 am #

Loved this post today, TOB! Hhmmm… and where did the researchers pull their random list of names from…. the social security list?? Hugs, Another Rule Breaker!

2. Lisa Sykes May 16, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

Rock on T!

• Dressed to a T May 16, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

You and LAP both commented same time, similiar posts. 🙂

3. Louise May 16, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Well said, TOB.

4. Megan Resler May 17, 2011 at 11:44 am #

I can’t believe someone over 22 would wear a tube top, much less a 33 year old! I am alarmed how close I am to being in violation of some of these cut-offs. But as you say, if I like it, I’m wearing it!! To hell with ’em!

• Dressed to a T May 21, 2011 at 7:51 am #

For the record, and I believe, you can attest…I have NEVER worn a tube top. Rules are made to be broken. 🙂

5. Carol S May 18, 2011 at 8:02 am #

It’s insane how great some of these 50+ ladies look, a real inspiration to all us younguns. I saw a pic of Christie Brinkly recently, whoah!

• Dressed to a T May 21, 2011 at 7:52 am #

The temple of love, Carol! And it appears Christie Brinkly remains youthful, Without the help of plastic surgery! I love that!!

6. AJ December 3, 2012 at 4:14 pm #

boots* not boats….lol sorry

• Dressed to a T December 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm #

Hey AJ – I don’t see cowboy boots in this post? Are you speaking of the boots that Nicolette Sheridan is wearing? That picture is about 6 years old, but if those are the boots, you can try http://www.zappos.com or http://www.nordstrom.com.
      I find both these stores to have the best selection of boots.
      Thx.

7. Keith May 5, 2014 at 11:58 am #

Women should dress in a fashion that makes them look attractive (classy) and is appropriate for the occasion (the same for men). If a 55 year old woman looks good in a mini skirt that’s great! Go for it! Age has nothing to do with dress. Appearance is everything. Just remember, fashion does make a statement.