Men’s Fashion tips? Hmmh…well, I did say I would answer your questions, and “Frank” asked about “tips for men” and I do believe that requires its own blog. So, for” Frank”, Geoff, Jason and Bruce (I think those are the only men who read this)…Enjoy…This blog’s for you. 🙂
I think these tips originated from a GQ article, but am not entirely sure. I’ve tweaked it to put my own spin on it. Even if you take one or two tips from it, I can die a happy blogger. My work here would be done. For the men, not women…I still have lots of fun thoughts upcoming for the Girls. 🙂
Ok Gentlemen…Here is What you need to know about men’s fashion:
- Know your tailor. Even the best suits need altering. In men’s fashion this is probably the most important detail that is not always adhered to. Pants need to be shortened, jackets need to be brought in, sleeves need to be narrowed (yes, you can ask your tailor to slim down your sleeves), and buttons need to be realigned with button holes .
- If you’re going to buy “off the rack”, you should always buy your correct size, then have a tailor customize it to your body. Have your tailor size the sleeves so they stop at the hinge of your wrist (not halfway down your thumb) and to size the pants so they break once (not gather in a baggy mess at your heels). Having your tailor properly fit your suit is the difference between being appropriately dressed and being stylishly dressed.
- Custom tailored suits and even dress shirts are another option. Custom tailoring means that everything will fit right – and if you need to have a lot of alterations done on ready-made clothes, it may be an economical alternative. www.jhilburn.com (sorry, that was a shameless plug). 🙂
- Always match your socks with your suit. Another must in men’s fashion. When choosing socks, the basic rule is to consider the suit instead of the shoe—in other words, if you’re wearing a navy suit with black shoes, reach for navy socks. And when wearing a light suit, make sure the socks are darker than the suit but a shade or so lighter than the shoes.
- Please do not wear a tie that is too slim. Unless you’re a hard-core men’s fashion guy who favors a super skinny tie, stick with one that measures about three inches at its widest point. It will be narrower than traditional ties, but not by too much. Tie one on and you’ll look modern and sophisticated. We assume that’s the look you want to achieve!
- Remember your undershirt. This one’s an interesting and tricky men’s fashion tip. If you’re wearing a conventional white broadcloth dress shirt (which means it’s fairly see-through), you have two options: Skip the undershirt and you’ll look clean and stylish. Or, if you’re a hairy guy who perspires a lot and you feel safer in an undershirt, wear a crew neck. The lines of a V-neck or tank top will be visible beneath your shirt and tie and you’ll look cheesy. GQ suggest that if you prefer a V-neck or tank top, you might consider other dress shirts.
- Put your wallet on a diet. Your wallet should not be as fat as a burrito. Buy an elegant, slim leather credit card holder and stock it with your essential cards. Then, fold your cash in a money clip. All that other nonsense can go in your desk drawer. You don’t need it.
- Wear brown shoes—with nearly everything. Black dress shoes are easy—they’re understated and tasteful. In men’s fashion, the GQ experts say that brown dress shoes up the style factor. People notice them. They go best with gray, khaki, or navy. Dark brown shoes are easier to pull off than light brown ones.
- Put toe taps on your leather-soled dress shoes. They will significantly increase the shoes’ life span.
- If you’re going to own one sweater, make it a charcoal gray v-neck. It goes perfectly with a dark suit in fall or winter and with jeans or cords in spring.
- A black belt works with khakis, jeans, suits, everything. Invest in a good one, and it will last for years.
- Update your eyeglasses and sunglasses. This goes for women as well. 🙂
- And, the last men’s fashion tip is: Invest in a classic one or two-button tuxedo with peak or notch lapels. It makes no sense (stylistically or fiscally) to rent a tuxedo each time you attend a black-tie event.
Now, it would be impossible for me to write about stylish men, without including a picture of my high school boyfriend. KIDDING… he’s much too old for me, but he always look Fabulous, and a blog with a picture of George Clooney, makes the women happy. Heck, it should make the men happy as well. 🙂
Next week it’s back to the Girl’s… For you 3 men who follow my blog, I will fawn all over you no more than once per month. This is longer than my usual blog, since Men’s topics will be highlighted only monthly. Please enjoy and savor these Dressed to a T – He blogs. 🙂
Smiling over here. The blunt card ending is perfect. I am forwarding this to Tom and suggesting he sign up. Gotta say, brown shoes…who knew?! Updating eyeglasses, another great tip (easy). Thanks Terry.
It is longer than your usual blogs but info-packed and worth reading. Thanks, TOB!! And, Clooney is always a welcome addition, esp early in the morning!
I always think of you when I get “long-winded”… and feel the need to apologize for that behavior. 🙂
Not a bad idea to shore up your fan base by throwing a bone to your guy followers.
I figured you’d be onto me for this one…but aren’t you enjoying the notoriety? 🙂
And belts…. they still match the shoes? Any tips on size belt…what’s in?
I think belts should always match the shoes. Generally you should buy a belt 1″ – 2″ bigger than your waist. Exotic belts, crocodile and lizard are really in now.
Love all the mens tips…do brown shoes work for women too. I have brown shoes and rarely wear them.
yes, brown shoes work for women, but I tend to gravitate more towards black shoes and boots…however, a combo black and brown “crocodile look” boot of mine, does tend to go with most everything. If you wear a brown pair of shoes (for women), try and use a brown handbag, belt, or accessories to tie it all in.
Thanks for the picture of George!
Well said T….if your male readers follow these tips, they will be admired by countless women! 🙂 One never turns away from a well dresseed and accessorized male.
what about belts should we choose the belts according to the color of the pents or jeans..
Fashion stuffs are really awesome here!